Thursday, March 15, 2012

Review: Maid for Love by Marie Force



The Particulars: Contemporary Romance, indie, ebook.
The Source: Purchased at Smashwords
The Grade: C+


The blurb:
Maddie Chester is determined to leave her hometown of Gansett Island, a place that has brought her only bad memories and ugly rumors. Then she’s knocked off her bike on the way to her housekeeping job at McCarthy’s Resort Hotel by Gansett’s “favorite son,” Mac McCarthy. He’s back in town to help his father with preparations to sell the family resort and has no intention of staying long. When Mac accidentally sends Maddie flying over the handlebars, badly injuring her, he moves in to nurse her back to health and help care for her young son. He soon realizes his plans for a hit-and-run visit to the island are in serious jeopardy, and he just may be “maid” for love.

The Review:
This book had been on my TBR list ever since I bought it, but reading a guest blog by Marie Force spurred me into reading it. And I am glad I did.
Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. There were so many things that I liked about it. From the small town setting to the characters. I loved the nuance picture she painted of the life in the town. From the way Maggie has to scrape together money to get by, to the McCarthy's lifestyle. I also liked the whispers and stares that arose when Mac stayed over with Maddie.
But what made the book for me was Mac and Maddie. Maddie for her scarred past and her stubborn independence. Mac for his determination to make Maddie's life better in every way he can. The attraction between them were strong from the start. I also liked that they didn't jump into bed immediately.

I also loved how Maddie's past and Mac's family caused obstacles between them, making the path rocky.

So what I didn't like. I had two issues with this novel. First, I didn't like the way that Mac tried to fix everything that had gone wrong for Maddie in the past. In the beginning it was touching, but after awhile it got annoying.
The more worrisome issue was the fact that I had trouble with feeling connections to some of the characters. I just didn't care about them. Despite it's short comings I am glad I bought it, and read it.  Since I did like the main characters, and I did like the setting.    
Will I buy the rest of the books? Probably, but I am not in a hurry.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...