Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Review: Sing Me Home by Jerri Corgiat



The Particulars: Contemporary Romance, Istoria Books, available as e-book.
The Source: Amazon freebie.
The Grade: B+
The Blurb:
Country music star Jonathan Van Castle is intent on two things--reviving his career and regaining custody of his two children. At a stop in picturesque Cordelia, Missouri, he meets Lily (Lilac O'Malley Ryan), a young widow trying desperately to hold onto her livelihood and rebuild her own life after the tragic loss of her husband. Singularly unimpressed with the famous Mr. Van Castle, Lily instead falls for his two children. They, and not their sought-after dad, steal her heart, and she lets herself be convinced to join him in a marriage of convenience as he fights his custody battle. The widow and the singer eventually discover their liaison means more to them both than they'd originally planned.


The review:
This is the first book by Jerri Corgat that I have read, but it isn't the last one. This book made me feel, mainly since I cared about the characters. I cursed Jon when he made a mistake, I wanted to hug Lil at the pain she felt, I wanted to strangle Belinda.

The core in this book is the romance between Lil and Jon. Normally, I am not fond of conventional marriages troupe, but this book managed to pull it off. Mainly since the relationship felt realistic. From their first meeting, to their wedding. I also liked that it showed how they had to adjust to their married life. Lil to being married to a celebrity, and Jon to being a father.
I also liked that it showed the problems with having a long distance relationship, and the tear it means on the home life.

But what made to book work for me, were how Lil always put the children first. She gave them a secure base, and she went to bat for them.

What I didn't like was that the last quarter of the book was mostly told from Lil's perspective. I wish that Jon's perspective had been shown. Mainly since I have a feeling that he struggled a lot during that time.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...